Legal regulations regarding donated sample medications can be found in Appendices\Regulatory\Sample State Regulations.
Upon receipt, donations should be inspectedby pharmacist or qualified pharmacy technician. Inspection includes:
- Donation record accurately describes drug samples
- Beyond Use Date (expiration) is within limits
- Sample labeling is not mutilated, obscured, or detached from packaging (primarily donations previously dispensed as in reclamation.)
- Sample does not show evidence of storage or shipping condition that might have affected it stability, integrity, or effectiveness.
- Sample is still on the market and not subject to recall
- Sample shows no evidence of contamination, deterioration, or adulteration
- If the sample does not pass the inspection, it is destroyed or returned to the donor and documented on the donation record.