Policies, procedures and processes covering medication from acquisition to destruction ensure compliance with government regulations, safety for patients and handlers, and established best practices. See Appendices\Standard Operating Procedures and Appendices\Inventory Management . Formulary\Forms for examples of policies and forms.
- Formulary management: restrictions (no controlled substances, birth control, pain medication, other therapeutic classes, devices); use of therapeutic interchange and restrictions.
- Medication ordering and receiving procedure, especially if vary by vendor
- Medication storage: temperature sensitive products, logs, procedure when storage temperature is violated (alternative storage arrangement, shortening of expiration/beyond use date, disposal).
- Medication segregation: by vendor, therapeutic class (oncology, inhalers, topical, etc.).
- Sample Medications – See Donations from Prescribers and Practices
- Returns and recall procedures, usually vary by vendor
- Inspection for expiration: who (volunteer, tech, pharmacist) and frequency (monthly, quarterly)
- Medication destruction procedures – See Medication Destruction