Most states regulating charitable pharmacies will require policies and procedures be filed and approved prior to licensure. See Standard Operating Procedures.
These are similar to regular pharmacy policies and procedures, with unique variations (and possibly some waivers and exceptions), pertaining to the “charity” and nonprofit status of the pharmacy.
State law may dictate policies regarding:
- Qualifying patients, in addition to contractual requirements or simply internal policies
- Determining whether patients may be charged and if so, how much
- Unique record-keeping requirements to track donations
- Could vary slightly depending on where medications are sourced
- May have more leniency in staffing and equipment requirements